array(0) { }
Your Planning Permission Questions Answered

When does a timber building need planning permission? Many buildings will not need permission, but you are always advised to check first. Much will depend on the location of the building within your property. If in doubt, anyone considering an outside building is advised to consult their local authority planning department to discuss any proposal with the planning officer at an early stage.

Under regulations that came into effect on 1st October 2008, outbuildings are considered to be permitted development, not needing planning permission, subject to the following limits and permissions:

In National Parks, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and World Heritage Sites the maximum area to be covered by buildings, enclosures, containers and pools more than 20 metres from house to be limited to 10 square metres.

On designated land* buildings, enclosures, containers and pools at the side of properties will require planning permission.

Within the curtilage of listed buildings any outbuilding will require planning permission.

*The term "original house" means the house as it was first built or as it stood on 1 July 1948 (if it was built before that date). Although you may not have built an extension to the house, a previous owner may have done so.

*Designated land includes national parks and the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, conservation areas and World Heritage Sites.

For more information see the Planning Portal.

Building Regulations

If a building is to be used for accommodation, business or accessed by the public, Building Regulations Approval may well be required. This will have a substantial effect on cost and Shields Buildings must be advised at the outset.

If the building is over 30 square metres in floor area, it will often need Building Regulations approval. However, farm buildings and stables are exempt. If required Shields Buildings will submit a Building Regulations Application on your behalf and then construct the building to the approved standard.

Drawings for Planning

The scale drawings of the building provided by the specialist draftsmen within the Shields Buildings team will normally be suitable to use for planning applications. These will show all the elevations of the building and a floor plan, scale 1:100.

We provide a full planning service based on our experience and knowledge of the planning laws for timber buildings. Contact our team if you would like us to make an application on your behalf.

Download a Brochure
Sign up for News, Events & More
Brochure & Price List
Download a PDF brochure with price list by entering your details below.
Keep me posted
Sign up to our Newsletter.
Stay up to date with the latest news on Events, Open Days, New Buildings and more.
Thank you
You’ve successfully signed up to our newsletter.
Thank you
You’ve successfully downloaded our brochure.
Thank you
Thank you for downloading the 7 Point Guide.
Thank you
We will get back to you soon.